nuffnang

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Iftar 2 - Mee Bandung & Nasi Lemak!



{mee bandung full to the brim!}
We’ve been fasting for two weeks. My body fats are melting slowly like the Arctic glacier but the city temperature is rising instead. I am not referring to the weather, which is the metrological department jurisdiction. I am referring to the city folk hectic shopping schedules. It’s a norm to adopt shop till you drop concept in the preparation of the forth coming Eid celebration. I am immune to this scenario but I am very fortunate not to fall to this shopping epidemic. I can remember clearly the last time that I did my Eid preparation. It was the grandest Eid preparation that I ever did the first and the last. It felt like it was just yesterday, but that is a story for another day.

In the midst of all these I received an invitation to break my fast from my sisterly companion CS. Breaking fast with family and friends will inculcates in a person a sense of love, brotherhood and friendship towards fellow human beings. I went to her place at about 6.45pm. Some of her guests were already there whom I knew since I knew CS since time immemorial! The dining table was full to the brim. There was her famous mee bandung (yellow noodle in thick savory gravy), nasi lemak (here we go again) and briyani rice amongst others. These were the main dishes. Then there were few kinds of local kuih and lamb porridge, ginger coffee and a soothing soda syrup bandung.

I started with a few mouthful of lamb porridge since I am not a lamb enthusiastic. It was tasteful but for the lingering taste of the lamb, I supposed. Thereafter I helped myself to a bowl mee bandung. The gravy is rich in color, flavor, and taste with few pieces of fresh tangy succulent prawns and generous pieces of meat and veggies together with the mandatory drop-in egg. I squeezed some lime and slurp it in a record time.

After prayer, I had second helping. This time around I attacked my favorite nasi lemak. The rice is made from the Basmati variety; hence it has a well elongated form. I was cautioned by F that the sambal might be too spicy for me. So, I just “fish” the squid pieces out carefully. Add a few pieces of cucumber, fried peanuts, anchovies and half hardboiled egg I make my way to the dining table, while waiting for my frothing Teh Tarik specially made by CS. The Teh Tarik was simply awesome made from fresh brewed tea leaves simmered to perfection and mixed with fresh milk and shake them well so that a nice frothing form forms atop the glass.

It was such an awesome break fast affair with good food, good ambience and good company and it is nearly sinful to give a point on Acepaizah’s scale. Nevertheless, with much pain I must. Well, the mee bandung is definitely a 9 on Acepaizah scale and the nasi lemak I will give a 7. The nasi lemak lacks in the moistness and “creaminess”. Oh the Teh Tarik is definitely a perfect 10. Just like Nadia Comaneci of Romania the only athlete in Olympics that score a perfect 10 in gymnastic years ago.

{Nasi Lemak}


~more nasi lemak kisses~
~Acepaizah~
4th Augustus 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment