nuffnang

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Iftar @ Asy Syakirin Mosque, KLCC, Kuala Lumpur




Fasting in the month of Ramadhan is one of the pillars of Islamic teachings. We are now into the second week of fasting from dawn to dusk. Basically by fasting one cleanses oneself and observed the real value of life specially the under privileged.  Anyway, that being said, fasting to me and others is a ritual that we observed meticulously.

Everyday, Muslims break their fast at about 7.30pm in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Since the city traffic will come to a near standstill, most KLites will break their fast at a mosque near their office. I am no exception. Three years ago, my office was right in the middle of the evening jam, just next to the Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre (KLCC), i.e. the Golden Triangle of Kuala Lumpur. As such my favorite mosque is the Asy Syakirin mosque since 2005. Every year this is the place that I feel very comfortable breaking my fast among strangers that were slowly becoming my annual mosque buddies. I have made a few close friends and one passes away last year due to severe diabetes. Another is good at baking fruit cake. And my close friend Id is my constant companion every year.

The beauty of breaking fast in the mosque is that every one from all walks of life seat together on the marble floor waiting for the call of prayer at 7.30pm marking the time to break our fast. All of the congregation have the same packed food, a bottle of mineral water and a bowl of porridge. I am humbled by this scene. When the muezzin calls for the prayer everyone like a clock works start with a bite of the deliciously heaven send dates that is full of goodness and a sip of mineral water, thereafter everyone start on their bowl of porridge. Some will continue with their mixed rice, others proceed to perform the dusk prayer together. Since I am a slow eater, I will eat after the prayer instead.

Thereafter all of the congregation moved into the praying hall and pray together in harmony. It is a beautiful scene and the feeling thereafter is beyond words.

Thus, one can celebrate the holy month with loved ones in a cozy of one home or bring all your clan to enjoy the humble ambience at any mosque and experience the simple dishes but expertly made to ensure a full wholesome taste through out the fasting month. 

iftar blessing
~Acepaizah~

No comments:

Post a Comment