nuffnang

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Lunch @ Pinang Masak Cafe


(Pinang Masak Cafe)
I was driving along Jalan Kucing (Jalan= Road) to go to Mawar Restaurant for lunch today. However the traffic was so bad beyond my expectation. As the clock is fast leaving lunch time, and we were practically inching our way instead of cruising, I made a quick decision to turn left into a lane leading to the Kuala Lumpur Court Complex and taking another left turn into Jalan Duta, thereafter taking a round about and turning another left into Jalan Langgak Duta. About 200 meters take left into an old but elite apartment building. Pinang Masak Café, a small, nice and quaint cafe situated at the end of the apartment block.

There were rows of tables and chairs along the side walk of the café, which were fully oxygenated by green creepers. The unique feature of the restaurant is the door. Unlike the wide door of most restaurants, Pinang Masak Café’s door is made of glass with wood panel and it is about the size of your standard bedroom door! This reminds me of a café in London, where we sat and enjoy the scenery. Pinang Masak Café is quite small with a very Malaysian decor. The quaint, cool and calm ambience is worth every cent spent here. 

Today, I have mixed rice. The veggies were long beans with fresh prawns in coconut milk gravy. It is my childhood favorite dish prepared by my late mother sans the prawns. The yellowish gravy is perfect to the “t”.  The long beans were not overcooked. I think the cook added the long beans just as the gravy starts to simmer. My protein for the day is fried fish in fermented soy beans sauce which have a sour-ish taste.  The fermented soy beans nicely covered the fish. No short changed here. Another protein is cockles’ rendang. It was spicy and I shared it generously with my companion M. I ordered another plate of rice much to my companion astonishment!

Pinang Masak Café opens daily except on public holidays. Though Pinang Masak Café is not in my neighborhood, it was worth the drive. In fact, it was like really out of Kuala Lumpur cosmopolitan and I think it serve the Bukit Tunku (formerly Kenny Hills) elite society!

Today dishes are 9.9 on Acepaizah scale and the ambience is 10 on Acepaizah! My only gripe is that, for its quaint ambience, value for money food, Pinang Masak Café should have better tableware made of at least  stoneware and not melamine ware to serve its finger licking food. For record, I frequent Pinang Masak Café for its ambience first, food second. 

{My lunch-the creamy gravy all over!}
fishy kisses
~Acepaizah~

No comments:

Post a Comment