nuffnang

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

NASI LEMAK FINALE in NEW ZEALAND


Acepaizah & NZ's Nasi Lemak


By now every one knows that I am a Nasi Lemak addict. I have Nasi Lemak for breakfast, lunch or dinner. And sometime even supper. Originally Nasi Lemak is eaten only in the morning. A plate of Nasi Lemak with some delicious sambal, fried peanuts and anchovies and few slices of crunchy cucumber. It is a basic morning meal full of calories for our fore fathers (and mothers) to kick start the day and sweat it out in the fields.

As time passes by, the humble Nasi Lemak initially finds it way into the evening as late tea’s quick snack after office. This is about two decades ago when my own mother was flabbergasted when I told her that I just had a packed of the elusive Nasi Lemak triangularly wrapped in banana leaf with friends after office while stuffing my self through dinner at home.  Thereafter the evolution was fast and furious. We can have them at any time of the day. There are few outlets that specializing in them. The humble Nasi Lemak has not only evolved in full circle in Malaysia but abroad too.

 As a Nasi Lemak fanatic, my first choice is always Nasi Lemak. Sometimes, I will diligently leaf through the menu but ended ordering Nasi Lemak! When I was in Wellington New Zealand, we came across a Malaysian restaurant, Istana Malaysia Restaurant. Without much ado, I ordered the humble Nasi Lemak. Oh my God, it was really humble. A dash of sambal, half hard boiled egg, some peanuts and a piece of minute chicken rendang. It was the most expensive humble Nasi Lemak I ever ate at $NZ15 per plate. Unfortunately, it does not have that distinctive taste or aroma of Nasi Lemak for want of ingredients, I presumed. But it relieves me of my hunger pang and addiction in the land of kiwis.

The following morning, a good friend of my cousin, invited our group to her abode for breakfast before we took off to Lake Taupo. I was expecting a simple breakfast of some toast with jam and probably some scrambled eggs. Instead we were served with near authentic Nasi Lemak with all its condiments and some fried rice vermicelli!

What differentiate one Nasi Lemak to another is in its sambal; when all the ingredients is mixed and cooked in harmony. Next is the rice; It must be cooked with just the right amount of coconut milk with a sprinkle of salt, few slices of ginger and few pieces of pandan leaves. Yes, the pandan leaves will give “the” Nasi Lemak aroma. There you have it. A perfect plate of the humble Nasi Lemak way out of its country of origin and definitely satiates my typical Malaysian palate at 5*C! Thank you NS & lil’ Yan.

However, the most delicious Nasi Lemak is of course Nasi Lemak prepared with love and passion by my sis Dr S. Dr S’ sambal is the true prototype as prepared by my late mom. The anchovies in the chilies paste were roughly grounded to soften the bony anchovies.

I am giving a 6 for Istana Restaurant Nasi Lemak for satisfying my cravings. A 9 for its atmosphere and hospitality since it was nice, warm and friendly. And lil’ Yan’s Nasi Lemak an 8 on Acepaizah and 10 for NS and lil' Yan hospitality. And Dr S? Well as the legal Latin maxim: res ipsa loquitor! (The thing speaks for itself), of course a perfect 10 on Acepaizah scale!
lil' Y's Nasi lemak  & piping hot tea
Another version- NS' @ Palmerston
(home grown salad!)
kiwis kisses
~Acepaizah~

No comments:

Post a Comment