nuffnang

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Foodie Adventure II @ Mawar Restaurant, Off Jalan Kuching, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

{my plate of rice}
{the enticing baby tomatoes & bamboo shoot}
It is an open secret that I am attracted to food. Somehow I like the song sung by one of the boys’ band, “Me minus you=blues”. However I am singing it as “me minus food=blues”. My close circle of friends knew this fact very well. Indeed, they will make all effort to entice and coax me to any new makan (eating) place. After my earlier post in Foodie adventure @ Tasik Raban, Ipoh (situated in the State of Perak, northern of Malaysia) on 30th May 2012, RA enlighten me about a restaurant serving similar dishes to Tasik Raban’s restaurant, in the city of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia itself.

After careful planning (like we need one), on a Tuesday afternoon we squeezed in NHA’s CR-V and adjourned to Mawar Restaurant. Mawar Restaurant is situated parallel to Kuching Road, about 1KM from the DUKE’s (Duta Ulu Klang Elevated Expressway) entry point along the Kuching Road. It is about 5KM from the city center of Kuala Lumpur. It is partly hidden by the angsana trees. The best “GPS” is that, it is at the tail end of a low rise army flats.

The restaurant is relatively smaller than Tasik Raban's. It operates from 12pm onwards serving the hungry population of Kuala Lumpur and closes on Fridays. We were amongst the early birds. As usual I made my rounds a couple of time. The local ulams (Malay salads) trays occupies nearly half of the long serving table! There were easily 20 or more different kinds of ulams and assorted accompanying sambal, paste and condiments. There were also grilled fish and other savory dishes of chicken, cockles and fish roe curry.

After circling a couple of times, I scooped some fish roe curry some petai (a local raw bean) in chilies and mixed veggies. NHA have grilled fish which she generously shared with us and I shamelessly helped myself to it. RA have a decent plate of rice and pumpkin with green veggies in coconut milk. We have a plate of mixed ulams. The fish roe in curry gravy was very fresh and tender. As usual I rolled up my sleeve and dug into my piping hot rice. The occasion called for me to eat with my bare fingers since the food is very inviting. I ordered some lai chee kang (a beverage with mixed jellies, peanuts, lychees, and other sweet condiments.) RA picks up the tab much to NHA and mine delight. The bill came to RM43-00 and since RA is a regular, the owner gave a discount of RM3-00.PR at its best.

Now, what’s my verdict? The place is clean though a bit crowded. The service is good; the food is value for money considering that this is the city of Kuala Lumpur with relatively decent choice of dishes. Although the ulams is very exhaustive, other dishes are lacking in choice and variety. I will give an “8” on Acepaizah scale.Till next foodie adventure.

butterflies kisses!!!
~acepaizah~
@19th June 2012






No comments:

Post a Comment