nuffnang

Friday, June 1, 2012

Foodie adventure @ Tasik Raban Restoran Lauk Pauk, Ipoh, Perak



I have been having food related encounters these days. I went to Ipoh last Wednesday. As lunch time approaches, my BFF suggested we check out a restaurant near the Indera Putra Stadium. She has been to this place couple of times and said that I might like it because they have arrays of dishes which she believed is to my liking. Usually when I am in Ipoh, we will go to a restaurant called “Simpang Tiga”, but of late, though the food is reasonably acceptable the choice is very limited, more so because I have to forgo all the spicy dishes. This place is called Restaurant Tasik Raban. (Tasik is Lake). However, there is no lake in sight. It is situated opposite the Stadium. There is ample parking. The restaurant is an open air place with high ceiling and fully incorporated a self service concept. One even has to order one’s drinks from the beverage counter!

The food trays were lined on a long table in 4 rows! There are all kinds of savory dishes from curries to chilies and assorted form of chickens, fishes, prawns, beef and squids cooked in many varieties. Then there is the “ikan & ayam bakar” (fish & chicken grill) with assorted accompanying condiments.  I believe every kind of the local ulams (salad) were neatly place for our takings. Oh, and since Perak is famous for its local condiment paste “tempoyak” (paste made from durian), naturally it is a must have in the menu. Not only does this place have the raw "tempoyak", it also served a variety of sambal tempoyak and also the famed fish dish in tempoyak gravy! This is a finger licking Perak-ians delights! You simply must try this dish at least once if you are in Perak. Just for the record, I do not eat this Perak’s lovely tasty condiment! At another corner, there were another row of local delights such as bamboo shoots in coconut milk and all kinds of fried salted and dried fish. 

I circled the food rows couple of times, trying to figure out what I wanted to eat. It is almost impossible to make up my mind. At last, I took a bowl of cockles in clear broth with a generous sprinkle of diced turmeric leaves and some lemon grass. I had some raw and boiled petai over a plate of piping hot rice and some fish curry. The fish was fresh with its white succulent flesh which is moist and meaty and blends nicely with the curry gravy which was cooked Malay style, i.e. with loads of coconut milk and less spicy. Indeed, I rolled up my white sleeve and dug into my plate with much gusto much to my BFF’s astonishment.


I will find a reason to go to Ipoh again. The dishes are simply delicious. I give and over all “10”. Good food, good service (its self service, for heaven sake!), clean ambiance and value for money.

"tempoyak" kisses!!!
~acepaizah~
(@TR-ipoh=30/5/12)



No comments:

Post a Comment