nuffnang

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Iftar @ Zest Cafe, The Sphere Bangsar South, Kuala Lumpur- Iftar 1/2013

lemony plain water n dates
With the Grace of Allah, we have another opportunity to welcome the holy and barakah month of Ramadhan.We are now into the second week of fasting from dawn to dusk. Basically by fasting one cleanses oneself and observed the real value of life specially the under privileged.  Anyway, that being said, fasting to me and others is a ritual that we observed meticulously. In the midst of all these I received an invitation to break my fast from my business network circle. Our President suggested a date which incidentally perfectly falls within Dr R and my schedule. So we agreed we break fast together at Zest's cafe at the Sphere, Bangsar South, Kuala Lumpur. Bangsar South supposedly to be the happening place now. Since it was a friday, all road leading every where from the city centre will be jammed and cars will be inching like a snail! I left my office near Ampang Point, Kuala Lumpur at about 6 pm reaching at the Kerinchi exit from the Federal Highway at about 6.25 pm. There after, I practically snail my way to Zest Cafe which is about 1 Km for the next 45 minutes!
some of the dishes
 There is only one long food counter starting with starters, variety of salad and kerabu kambing (lamb mixed salad), clear chicken soup with lots of veggies such as carrot and potatoes followed by variety of fluffy steamed rice and its accompanying dishes and ends with desserts: lai chee kang, cakes and traditional kuihs.
kuihs on tiered plate
I start with the mandatory dates and plain water which had a distinct lemon flavour followed by the tasty clear chicken soup with lots of carrot and potato cubes. After fasting for more than 14 hours, one must be easy on the stomach with light food. 
The dishes were simply delicious and one that was really out of the world is the lemon sauce fish. I think I went for triple helping. There were also my sinful forbidden squids calling after me. I am only human, I fall for them! They were simply juicy, cooked in thick coconut milk and some green veggies and some pumpkin. I practically ate them without the rice though as advised by T, our cake expert, I should probably took some rice with it. I did, indeed. 
forbidden squids rings 

humble starter?
To cap it, we had specially ordered chicken satay, courtesy of our Mr. Electric Man, S, who could not make it to the buka puasa (break fasting) do. Thank you very much, we finished the satay on your behalf S!
special ordered satay
Last but not least, I could not refrain myself from ordering Teh Tarik. And I do not regret it at all. The Teh Tarik was simply awesome freshly brewed tea leaves (I think) simmered to perfection and mixed with fresh milk and shake them well so that a nice frothing form forms atop the glass.

It was such an awesome break fast affair with good food, good ambience and good company and it is nearly sinful to give a point on Acepaizah’s scale. Nevertheless, with much pain I must. Well, in the spirit of Ramadhan, I will give the Teh Tarik drink a respectable 7 on Acepaizah's scale, the lemon sauce fish garnered a neat 9 and the forbidden rings of squids a sinful 8! Over all it was a memorable break fast do. And finally I simply love the cafe setting; with its crispy white table cloth, stainless steel culinary and tableware and for that, I am honouring Zest Cafe with a 10 on Acepaizah's scale.

zesty squids' leveraging time
~Acepaizah~

foamy Teh Tarik
full to the brim

1 comment: